Yesterday was Amylynn’s assistant’s last day. It was a bit of a hectic day, not because she was leaving, but because Amylynn was only working half a day. Craziness ensued, as it will. At one point, one of their team members was on the phone shrieking – some swear words might have been spoken, loudly – and Amylynn did the “um hmm, um hmm, Do you want to talk to the manager?” When she got off the phone, the Assistant said, “Wow, you’re so calm.” Blahahahahaha. No one, ever, in the history of Amylynn’s existence, ever, EVER, called her calm. Ava was like, “Has she met you?” For gods sake, Amylynn even has a tattoo on her wrist to remind herself to Calm Down! The Sisters seriously have her fooled. She even thought Ava was “Cool.” Our plan is working! Heres some other ridiculous stuff.
1. Psychedelic. There is a bakery in Brooklyn, NY that makes rainbow bagels. These things are absolutely gorgeous. You can see the video of how they were made here. We’ve never had one. We don’t have much time when we’re in NYC to track down everything we want to eat. We’re there in another three years; we’ll add it to the Must Eat list. So not only is this the most gorgeous piece of bread ever formed, they also top it with Funfetti cream cheese with real frosting and bits of cake in it. One woman said, “It’s like eating cake for breakfast!” No, it’s exactly eating cake for breakfast. Frosting = cake. We’re in.
2. We’re moving. Have you seen this gear’s HGTV Dream Home? It’s gorgeous, as one would expect. Located on Merritt Island, Florida, it’s all that is light and pretty. We’d give you the link to enter to win, but that would reduce our chances. We have plans for this house. We’re going to move there immediately and lock all the doors. No one is invited to visit. We’re getting a passel of animals (some of them usual), and we don’t need anyone narcing us out to the authorities. We’re also anticipating the amazing books we’ll get completed when we’re holed up at our luxurious compound. It will be bliss.
3. Missing our calling? The family threw a surprise birthday party for Amylynn’s very favorite mother-in-law. We volunteered immediately for the cake. Maybe we insisted. It’s all a blur. Anyway, we knew exactly what we wanted and from where. We ordered the cake from our favorite wholesale bakery, the maker of the Best White Cake Squares in the Whole Entire World. We had them not decorate it. We had a plan. Ava made a zillion molded chocolate squiggles and formed Happy Birthday Grace out of fondant. It turned out so freaking cute. Do you see the explosion? The fact of the matter is, everyone should be happy we didn’t just eat it in the car on the way over.
4. Oh this little pumpkin! We discovered this French photographer who’s made a project out of photographing pit bulls who live in shelters. She dresses each of them in a flower crown and, as you can see from her photos, they love it (more here). When she did the first one, she was a tad hesitant, thinking the dog might bite her or something. You know, those puppies do have a bit of a reputation. Of course, that didn’t happen. They just looked up at her with their soulful eyes. So far, she’s helped hundreds of fur babies be adopted. She’s a pit pull angel. We’ll take four.
5. You’re all just jealous. We’ve mentioned El Jefe before. Up to now, there have only been still pictures of him. Senor El Jefe is the one and only wild jaguar in the US and he lives around our town. The people at the Center for Biological Diversity and Conservation CATalyst used a specially trained scat hunting dog to figure where it would be best to place video cameras. The dog brilliantly chose several spots and the researchers got some outstanding video. The Sisters have long been fans of El Jefe (the boss) because he’s very, very handsome. We think we should import La Reina (the queen) and get us some los niños de oro (golden children).
Conservation CATalyst and Center for Biological Diversity